Our guide on how-to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
What is Windows Defender?Windows Defender (now known as Microsoft Defender Antivirus) is an always on, anti-malware software that guards your computer from external threats. The antivirus is developed by Microsoft to protect computers from virut threats that are running the Windows 10 operating system.
This antivirus comes preinstalled with any version of Windows 10. Windows Defender protects your computer in realtime from not only viruses, but also ransomware, rootkits, trojans, spyware, and many forms of malicious attacks. The program is không lấy phí to use, and Microsoft sends regular updates on Windows 10.
Why turn off Windows Defender?
Good question you ask! If Microsoft Windows Defender is a miễn phí antivirus that protects your system from malware attacks, then why would anyone feel the need to lớn disable it or turn it off? There are however specific cases where you would want to lớn disable the Windows Defender.
You may want to lớn install specific software or program on your system, but Microsoft Windows Defender in Windows 10 might keep interrupting. Take 3rd buổi tiệc nhỏ Software as an example. Windows Defender can treat programs or applications from small developers as a threat, & it will not allow you khổng lồ install it. This can sometimes be helpful as you don’t know if the software is legitimate or it may contain some khung of malware which may breach your security.
Nevertheless, sometimes you’re sure that the software is safe & legitimate & want to lớn install it, but the Windows Defender keeps deleting it. In this case, you might want to lớn disable Windows Defender temporarily.
There may arise a case where you don’t trust the capabilities of Microsoft Windows Defender and decide to install a third-party antivirus for virus threat protection. There are numerous third-party antivirus programs on the market that can be used in place of Windows Defender.
One benefit of installing a third-party antivirus is that it gives you more security và control over it. You can disable it at any time and re-enable it again.
You may also want to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 as it utilizes a lot of resources when it runs in the background. You may not have enough ram, or you may want the processor lớn focus on some specific task rather than waste resources on scanning your computer.
These are just a few reasons for disabling the Microsoft Defender antivirus.
Whatever your reason may be, Microsoft Windows Defender in Windows 10 is still a valuable resource. Something is better than nothing, meaning your computer is much more prone to being infected while using it with the Defender disabled. If you’re planning khổng lồ use another antivirus, then disabling the Windows Defender is justifiable. The Defender antivirus does not have a disable or uninstall option anywhere. Keep in mind that when Windows Defender disable, the security of your computer will be at risk of malware attacks.
Let’s look into how to lớn turn off Windows Defender.
Windows Defender can still be disabled on Windows 10 through settings, registry, and through group policy.Let’s look into each one, step by step on how khổng lồ turn off Windows Defender.
Turn off Windows Defender through settings:
This is one of the fastest & easiest ways to lớn disable Windows Defender. All of the operations are going to lớn be done through settings. Just follow these steps:
1. Mở cửa Start by clicking on the Windows hình ảnh sản phẩm on the bottom left of your screen.
2. On the Start menu, locate và click on xuất hiện Settings by clicking on the gear-shaped icon on the left panel.
3. Windows Settings will open up. Proceed by clicking on Update và Security. It will be the last option.
Disable Windows Defender: Select Update and Security
4. Next, proceed by clicking on Windows Security on the left side panel.
5. Under Protection Areas, click on Virus và threat protection.
disable windows defender virus and threat detection
6. The Virus và threat protection Window will mở cửa up. Under Virus & threat protection settings, proceed by clicking on Manage settings.
disable windows defender manage settings
7. Real time protection will be the first option in front of you. Under real time protection, click on the xanh ON switch.
virus và threat detection settings
8. Windows will prompt you if you want to make the change. Click on Yes. You’ll see the message stating that real time protection is off, an indication that you have successfully turned off the Windows Defender.
Windows Defender real time protection is off
Anytime you can follow steps 1 to lớn 7 và again click on the Off button khổng lồ re-enable real time protection.
The benefit of turning off real time protection through virut threat protection settings is convenience & speed. You can quickly turn it off và then again on. One thing lớn keep in mind is that when you restart your computer, Windows Defender will automatically be turned on. By disabling real time protection, you can install your desired application or software which you previously could not, but your security will be at risk. You can also make your desired system changes. This is not a permanent solution, but it is the fastest solution through virut threat protection settings.
How khổng lồ disable Windows Defender through the registry:
This is a bit of lengthy process to lớn disable Windows Defender:Follow these steps to lớn permanently disable Windows Defender through Registry.
1. Mở cửa Start, by clicking on the Windows biệu tượng công ty on the bottom left of your screen.
2. Type “Regedit” in the search bar, và proceed by clicking on the Registry Editor with the xanh icon. Click on yes when prompted by Windows.
3. The registry editor will open. On the left side, you’ll see different options. You need to locate to Microsoft Defenders location, by expanding the following:First, expand the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” thư mục by double-clicking on it.Next, expand the “SOFTWARE” folder.Scroll down & find the “Policies” thư mục and expand it.Expand the “Microsoft” folder.Next, click once on the “Windows Defender” folder.
4. Now, right-click on the “Microsoft Defender” folder and hover your cursor above “New.” A new thực đơn will pop out. Proceed by clicking on “DWORD (32-bit) Value”.
DWORD (32-bit) Value
5. A new file will appear on the right side with the option to lớn name it. Enter “DisableAntiSpyware” as the name và hit Enter.
6. Next, double click on the newly created “DisableAntiSpyware” file.
7. Edit the value under “Value data:” as 1.
Value data 1
8. Press “Ok” on the bottom khổng lồ save the value.
9. Finally, restart your system for the changes lớn take place. After restarting, the Microsoft Windows Defender will be disabled successfully.
If anytime you want to enable the Windows Defender again, follow these steps:Open the registry editor.Locate to the “Windows Defender.”Double click on “DisableAntiSpyware.”Edit the “Value Data” as 0, and click on Ok.Restart your system for the changes to lớn take effect.
This method is a bit tricky & lengthy, but this will disable Windows Defender permanently. Restarting your computer will not enable the Defender again. Through this method, you can install any app & tweak any setting without the fear of Windows Defender interrupting in Windows 10. Your computer’s security will be compromised so make sure to lớn enable the Defender again so your security stays active.
How khổng lồ turn off Windows Defender through Group Policy:
This is our last instruction set khổng lồ disable Windows Defender.Follow these steps khổng lồ turn off Windows Defender permanently:
1. Press “Win + R,” Window key, plus the “R” key together.
2. A dialogue box will appear. Type in “gpedit.msc” và hit Enter.
3. The local group policy editor Window will open in front of you.
local group policy editor
4. Under “Computer Configuration,” double-click on “Administrative Templates.”
5. Next, click on “Windows Components” to lớn expand it.
6. Scroll down, locate, & click on “Windows Defender Antivirus.”
Windows Defender Antivirus Group Folder
7. On the right side, double-click on “Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus.”
Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus
8. A new Window opens. Highlight the “Enabled” option on the left và click on Apply and then Ok.
Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus “Enabled”
9. Finally, restart your computer for the changes to lớn take effect.
In case you need to lớn enable Windows Defender again, follow steps 1 to 7, highlight the “Not Configured,” click on Apply và then Ok. Restart your computer, and Windows Defender will be enabled again.
This is the third & final way lớn disable Windows Defender permanently. In this way, the Defender antivirus will not enable itself automatically when you restart your system. This is a permanent fix for the Defender antivirus.
Temporarily disabling the Defender antivirus to lớn install some software or tweak some settings, is fine. There is no issue with that, but disabling the Defender antivirus for a prolonged time can put your security at risk. At any time, your system can be attacked by malicious programs. So, it’s a good practice khổng lồ at least have a third-party antivirus installed, or khổng lồ just disable it temporarily.